Wednesday, September 23, 2015

week 1 Ghana MTC (9/23/2015)

 Hello,
I got here safely and the travel went well. On my first flight they had to delay to kick off some guy who was drunk haha. But it's okay because I was sitting at JFK for hours on my own anyway. Eventually 12 other missionaries showed up from all over the west.  All the Elders here are awesome both the Americans and the Africans. They've definitely been a huge help and good role models. Even in this short amount of time.  We are already talking about having our mission reunion at Elder Burge's house when we get home. That would be awesome. The Africans are so friendly. They all know my name but I only know like 5 of theirs haha. Its a struggle. The Names are hard. My first companion is actually from the Philippines, he is the only filipino here. but he's pretty awesome. He really knows his scripture references.

The food is alright, the first day and the second day it was horrible and I could hardly eat. But now I'm getting used to it and my stomach is almost back to normal size.My favorite new food is what I'm calling rice Porridge haha. Its actually not bad but its definitely not my favorite. Thats a joke. It was the first thing that we ate when we got here for "breakfast" along with breads, baked beans, and some white pineapple (<- glorious). 
 Its the humidity that kills!


We get to go outside every day, but there is a wall with an electric fence at the top so we can't really leave (jk), its just to keep other people out.

We went to the temple today which was amazing. It is beautiful. 


Today at lunch, I wasn't that hungry because I'd just eaten breakfast, someone started playing the piano. It took them a while to get the hang of it but eventually they got the notes right and they played the song that I was hoping they would. So I went over and sang with the group. It was great. 
Tell everyone I say hi and I love them! Including my friends!

I'm loving it although this is going to be a long two years haha
Love, 
Elder Speakman

 Arrived at the Ghana MTC 9/18/2015
 Meal time with Companion.
 District of Helaman

 Teaching 

Ghana Temple 9/23/2015


From MTC Pres.
 2 miles from the Ghana MTC.  If you look out a few miles South of here, it is where the equator and the Grenwich latitude line intersect.  So missionaries leaving from theGhana MTC are leaving from the Center of the Earth to the mission field. (Nice tidbit, eh?)




No comments:

Post a Comment