Monday, November 16, 2015

week 8 (11/16/2015)

Hey everyone!  I hope you are all well.  And if not, then just start talking, I'll strain to listen (;  But as for me, thing are going pretty well, I'd say.
The work is just as hot and sweat as before, but that's not such a bad thing.
 I was listening to a talk, I'm not sure who gave it, but he said something that I like quite a bit.  He said, "To sweat is as much a divine command as it is to pray."  We're here (on the earth and on this mission) to work, as scary as that is haha.  "Idleness creates a vacancy of worth (same guy)."
I've noticed that when we are truly giving our all to something, we feel much better about ourselves.  We all know that we have great potential (just think about it).
And for myself, I've noticed that the only time I feel okay with not living up to that potential is when I create within myself feelings of "passiveness."  The only way to feel comfortable or even "content" with my "under-achieving self" is when I simply stop caring or ignore the fact that I could be so much more, or so much better, if I just worked (something that was much easier to do back home with 1,000 distractions surrounding me).
Sometimes just the prospect of work can make me sweat.  And it can be scary!
Looking at what I want to be, and what God has made it possible or me to be, the work that it will take to get me there is frightening.  And you know what?  None of us even knows our own potential!
None of us know just how great we could be. And if it seems our time here on earth may even be insufficient to accomplish all that we hope for.  We won't always have tomorrow.  We won't always have tomorrow to say sorry, to learn more, to get better, to grow.  We won't always have tomorrow to change.
 A saying that I have come to despise is, "next-time."  What a short-sighted statement.  "Next-time" won't always some.  In fact, most of the time, as soon as you've said those 2 words, "next-time" never comes.
I could keep going forever because I'm writing this as much for me as for anyone else.  Believe me, I've got work to do.  And it's not easy o'.
I'll leave you with one last quote:  "Procrastination is the thief of salvation."

I love and miss you all!
Love,
Elder Speakman

p.s. Happy Birthday Mom!  And also Miriam and Jaelle!  And Happy anniversary to Uncle Mitch and Aunt Jamie


No comments:

Post a Comment