Monday, December 7, 2015

week 10 (12/7/2015)

Wow.... it's almost Christmas!  Well... that's surreal. 
 I'd say that after being here for 3 months I've begun to normalize myself with the fact that this is where I will be for the next year and 9 months, but every time I think back to being a kid and saying that I would go on a mission, I go into a moment of disbelief that that time has actually come.  I guess more like, has actually begun. Apart from the terrifying thought that my life has begun, I would say things are going pretty well here, haha.

I've been here almost 3 months, I'm still with Elder Ulu and I got mail!!  For those of you who didn't write me feel free to guilt-trip yourselves into changing that (; Just kidding, but seriously, thank you to all of you, you know who you are!

Hamma-Time is different than I expected.  First off, it is very dry.  Vaseline is being bought in abundance by my companion haha.  Seriously though, it is terrible.  My eyes burn sometimes, and the throat becomes sand paper.  There is dust everywhere!  It is crazy, but it's not red dust, it just looks like fog.. that never goes away.  If you look to the sky where the sun should be, you won't find a floating orb, there is no defined circle, that whole portion of the sky is just lit up, it's interesting. And it's nice because the sun isn't so glaring in the afternoons.  The storm of sweat has been quelled (see how I used my own name (; ).
 Here's another positive.  You know those people who you hate walking next to because they can't seem to figure out how not to run into you (surprisingly sometimes we do have to learn how to not do something, well, lucky for me my companion isn't one of those people.  Lucky for him, I am. We'll be walking, I look up at the sky to watch the sunset and suddenly Elder Ulu's view is rapidly turning into the red dirt.  It's fun, haha

Speaking of fun, the other day we met this journalist for this big news station here "TV3".  He has traveled to Utah before with the President of Ghana and other journalists.  So after talking to him for a big chunk of time, he invited us to come back Saturday and teach him because his wife was going to be in town.  So we did, and it was great.  I would say I have had better lessons but this one was still great!  Dang, this guy had soo many questions, and he kept going deeper and deeper until I told him that if we kept going he wouldn't even understand what we were teaching because he didn't even know what we believed yet.  One thing he was very interested in was temples, which I can understand because temples are sweet.
But what I liked most about his lesson was that I could talk.  I didn't have to talk slower or simplify my language because he understood!  He understood and then he asked more questions!  It was great, that's all I can say.
 Sometimes communicating with people is a real struggle here.  Some people don't speak English so we go back with member to teach them so they can translate.  Some speak pretty well, and some you can't even tell.  Like they talk to you, and say they understand, then they say something that makes you think you might have to repeat the whole lesson with them again.. hahaha.  The people are great though!
There is this one boy Emmanuel who can barely read and can not write.  He's actually able to get through school just copying what the teach wrote, then writing it again to answer the questions given.  It upset me, so I started trying to teach him.  I'm pretty sure I sounded like a monkey trying to help him sound things out... anyway, I hope you all had and have a food filled and yet productive week, haha. 
I love and miss you all!
Love
Elder Speakman

ps please forgive me for my terrible emails/lack of them

No comments:

Post a Comment