Monday, February 8, 2016

week 18 (1/31/2016)

Greetings from Ghana (I switched it up on ya, no "heyoo" this time)!

 It has been a week filled with excitement over here and I must say it flew by.  I hope yo all had a great week as well!

First off, this week was transfer News! My companion was waiting all week to receive the news that he would be leaving this place haha.  He's been here for over 7 months, so it's pretty understandable.  But, at the same time not, because I'm really beginning to enjoy it here.  But anyway, back to the transfers!  Elder Ulu got his wish and will be leaving for Kumasi this Wednesday along with another Elder in our apartment.  So that means 2 new missionaries!  I'll be living with a stranger again... haha  But if all goes as planned my new companion will be Elder Argo from Ethiopia.  Crazy stuff!

Speaking of crazy... so when we were living in Germany our neighbors were Ghanian, and also part of the military.  When I got my mission call my mom, being much more thoughtful than I, immediately thought of our neighbors and got in contact with them.  Recently they gave her one of their uncles phone numbers, who lives in Sanyani (the city I'm in), and she gave it to me.  We were told that he lived in a different part of the city than me, so I gave it to the Elders in that area.
 Then one day we received a phone call from some guy asking about my mom and we were both really confused so we hung up.  Then I realized who it was!  And I called him right back! Man was I excited!
 So we made an appointment after we found out where he lives (not an easy task by the way), and this Saturday we met up with him!  In summary it was stinking awesome, he and his family are awesome! He offered me a place to live and welcomed us as family and this Sunday they fed us and gave us food to take home as well. 
All of that was awesome, but what amazes me most is this: We knew this man's family when we lived in Germany, and some of them were even coming to church with us while we lived in Germany.  Then, we moved to NY and lost most connections.  Then, one year later I received my mission call to their home country.  Then I went to Kumasi.  From Kumasi, the first zone of my mission that I got called to was the zone Sanyani, where their family lives, in the area that their uncle lives, in a house that we have passed dozens of times.  Either that's a massive coincidence, the world really is tiny after all, or it's a great blessing and opportunity.  But as for me I choose the latter.
It's still amazing for me to think about....!!

Anyway, I hope that you all have a great week.
Stay Happy and try to recognize the hand of God in everything!

Love,
Elder Speakman

She is the grandmother of one of our investigators. She's 107 years old and still hearing and talking. She was worried that she didn't look good for the picture so they adjusted all of her clothing haha XD it was funny.  Her grand daughter said "she thinks shes still young."
I guess nobody ever plans to grow old!



No comments:

Post a Comment