Monday, February 22, 2016

week 21 (2/22/2016)

Good morning everybody!  At least for me it is morning, it's 7:15am and slightly overcast here in Ghana.  I hope things aren't too cold for those reading this (; enjoy your snow if you got it!!
This week the heat returned but without the rain (neither are fun to walk in), but the people here are really waiting on the rain to come.  They said usually the rain starts towards the beginning of February, so right now things are pretty dry; as thy have been for a while, and to my dismay manjo season is being delayed!  But I'm not really fearing, I know the rain will come and the humidity with it!

Lately, we have been running into people and meeting with people who tell us that they have met with the missionaries in the past, so they know our church and they like our church.  We even have had pastors call us and ask for a Book of Mormon, they say, "I love that book," and "I know it is good."  Every time I hear this I get confused, and the only thing that I can think to ask them is, "what happened?"
The reasons they give for stopping meetings with the missionaries or not coming to church are many.  Sometimes they say, "I traveled," or "I'm too busy."  Sometimes they don't really have a reason at all.  But something that I've noticed that all of the reasons have in common is, that things stopped being, "easy;" or it was no longer, "convenient," for them.  I could ramble on about how, "being a part of Jesus Christ's church never was meant to be an easy thing,"  or how "Salvation is not a cheap experience" or about how, "[nobody] said the truth would be easy, [they] only said it would be the truth."  But I'll leave it to a much smarter man, Deiter F. Uchtdorf, to say it in words much better than my own.  I hope you'll take a small amount of time to read his talk,: "Be Not Afraid, only Believe,"   https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/10/be-not-afraid-only-believe?lang=eng
I hope that we all will try to find ways to apply his words to our lives in whatever large or small way we are directed/prompted.

I know that life is not always easy, and having or gaining faith is not always convenient; and sometimes it's not even apparent that it's needed; but I know it is.
The best things in this life are usually the hardest to get, but that doesn't mean they/(it) aren't/(isn't) worth it. 

Seek to be better!  Seek to have more!
If we aren't progressing we're regressing. 

Love,
Elder Speakman'

No comments:

Post a Comment