Monday, May 23, 2016

week 33 (5/23/2016)

Heroo!
I hope all of you are well!  Hopefully things are heating up for those of you in New York by this point; it is almost June after all.  I'm happy to say that over here things are cooling off!  In fact my clothes are out hanging on the line right now.  I don't know if they will dry because our sky is filled with clouds, no rain yet though.

Breaking news! Our branch president fed us fufu on Friday!  I hadn't had fufu for so long before that point, the reason is because food is getting more and more expensive as we wait for the rain to come.

It was a nice Sunday!  First of all, three of our investigators came to church only a little bit late, so that was awesome.  Also, the new couple missionaries (Elder and Sis. Renfroe) came to our branch and spoke to us.  It too was awesome.  They shared with us their almost tragic love story, about how they were engaged but chose to put off their wedding because both of them received calls to serve missions and at the same time; so they chose to respond and go.
I wish I could share the whole thing with you but what touched me most was their devotion to God, their faith, and their trust in Him that even if they left everything would work out.  Sister Renfroe shared how even though there were many tear filled nights sleeping on a cot in Argentina, never once has she regretted her choice.  And it's blatantly obvious that the both of them have received their reward.  They are two of the happiest and most energetic people I know.
The point of her talk was that she chose to listen to her heart, and that's what we need to do; because very often that's how God chooses to communicate to us, through our own thoughts and feelings, we just have to be sensitive enough to recognize them.  In her mind all she wanted to do was stay home and marry Elder Renfore, but in her heart she knew she needed to serve.  So she listened to her heart and has never regretted it since.

All of us need to make sure that we set aside a time and a place where we can be in an environment to listen to those promptings of the spirit; that "still small voice."
In the world today we are surrounded by noise and distractions.  If we don't actively put ourselves into an environment where we can receive those promptings, we may miss out on what God wants us to do; and we may miss out on finding anything meaningful to do at all.

I know that God answers prayers if we take the time to listen.  And I know that, "our lives are not confined to a 4 inch screen" (or a 6 inch screen, if you're insane and want to have a tablet for a phone).  Please take the time to think, pray and listen!

I love you all and hope you have a great week!
Love,
Elder Speakman

p.s.- The rain came and my clothes are even  more soaked than before now.  Just thought you ought to know
p.s.s- it soaked our clothes on the line, so the line broke and all my clothes got dirty again. I was happy....

No comments:

Post a Comment