Tuesday, June 28, 2016

week 37 & 38 (6/27/2019)

6/20/2016
Morning peeps!! How are you all?  The clouds are out and it's a cool morning up North here in Tamale.  Speaking of weather, on Wednesday we all traveled to Techiman (south) for a Zone Conference with a bunch of other missionaries.  We ended up staying for 2 nights just because tamale is such a  long drive, about 4 hours.  In those nights, I ALMOST FROZE.  I don't know how I'm going to survive when I come home, it couldn't have been cooler than 60 degrees, but I was curled up on my mat, with my used white shirt on top of me and my small travel towel; I forgot a sheet...

During Zone Conference we discussed a talk given by the past prophet, Ezra Taft Benson, and it's entitled: "Beware of Pride."  Before I do a terrible job at trying to explain it, I want to invite all of you to take 5 mins and read the talk yourselves, I don't think you'll regret it (;.
First of all, "pride is ugly." It is, "there is no such thing as a righteous pride."  Sometimes we forget that there are many different faces of pride.  When most of us think of pride we think of someone who is haughty, conceded, or boastful.  And that's true, but... being prideful is much easier than that.  "The central feature of pride is enmity- enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen.  Enmity means, 'hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.'" Faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding gratitude and praise that might lift another, and being unforgiving and jealous, "'are all manifestations of pride."
As I read this talk I realized... holy cow (yes, I said holy cow), I'm prideful.  That's one thing I didn't expect; pride can be quiet!  And  that is when it can be most difficult to see it in ourselves (it's always easy to see it in others though... right?!) (;  Everybody should read this talk!  If we could all recognize our pride then trip ourselves of it we would be so much happier; that I can promise.  So read it!  And do your best to see what you need to improve on (not what others need to improve on, that's easy, but what YOU need to improve on).
Humility and submissiveness are not signs of weakness.  If anything they are the true test of strength.

I love you all! 
I hope you are doing Fantastic!

I'll see ya soon (;
Take care and be Humble!

Love-
Elder Speakman

ps Happy Birthday Naomi (for reals this time) Eat some cake for me!)




those are what we call tiger nuts. I'm not sure where they come from, but they kind of taste like coconut)



6/27/2016

Good morning (or whatever time it is for you)!
It has been a good week!  Honestly, I don't know when the weeks begin or end.  If it wasn't for my planner, I would have no clue whether what we did happened this week or 1 month ago, because we're just soo busy.  Seriously, by the end of the day, the things that we did in the morning feel like they happened the day before... we just see too many people and go to too many places and when I do take a minute to relax at night it's weird,  I start to feel like there's something I should be doing.  Time really is a precious thing!

I got smacked on Wednesday.  It was horrifying.  I was just innocently sitting there, teaching a lesson, when some berserk woman came up and slapped me across the face! Actually, that's a lie haha.  Well! It's half-truth.  We were teaching an investigator and her brother had decided to join us, so at that point in the lesson I was focused on him.  As I was watching him, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a slow movement of his sister in my direction, really, it was just one of those things that you notice but you give no second thought to.  I sure gave more thought to the matter when her high velocity hand made direct contact with my relaxed jaw!!!  In case you were wondering yes, she got the mosquito.  She showed it to me.  She got it juuuuuuust before it sucked gallons of my blood; thank goodness for her.

Something else!  I cooked!!  I got sent Italian seasoning by a wonderful daughter of God, my mom, and it had a sweet recipe on the packet that uses beans and rice; which is perfect! I've got beans and rice to go around!  So I made that, it was a little gray but it tasted absolutely wonderful.  Call me a chef (;  I even got  creative and put it on bread to make a sandwich.

I hope you all had an exciting week as well,  haha!
I miss you all!
Read the Book of Mormon! (;

Love,
Elder Speakman 













No comments:

Post a Comment