Monday, August 22, 2016

week 46 (8/22/2016)

Another week!  Time is flying over here, I can't believe that next month will be my 1 year mark in Ghana!  I'm almost on the downward slope ladies and gentlemen.  haha

Things have been going well here!  Me and my companion Elder Sekgetho get along well.  The people are wonderful and our investigators are awesome, and I'm understanding the twi small small!  I'm still nowhere near being able to have a conversation that extends too far beyond the realm of just saying greetings (maybe that's just because I don't try hard enough) but I can usually get the gist of what is going on and respond in English. 

Something else interesting is that I've come to realize that, yes, as crazy as it sounds, I will miss the food here.  Banku used to be my greatest enemy but I've found myself buying it from chop bars on more than one occasion.... it's scary actually...  I'll make sure to give those of you near me a sample one day, don't worry.  Don't kill yourself with anticipation either, haha; you've still got one year to crave it (;.

Our investigators are doing sweet.  We've got 5 people who are really interested in what we are teaching, and it's just exciting to see them build their testimonies, bear their testimonies and even notice the change that is coming into their lives as they discover the truth.   Bro. Boadu was there 30 minutes early to church yesterday! That was exciting! Now the members need to do their part to fellowship.

Something I've noticed is that really, the only difference between those who progress and those who do not is that, those who do progress took, a "blind step of faith into the darkness," then followed that forward momentum: and with each step they took they found the way lighted before them just enough to take another step forward.  While on the other hand those who did not progress never took that step.  Whether it was accepting our invitation to read something, say a prayer, or come to church; they made the choice not to. And the sad thing is that it's not that they are rejecting the things we teach as being impossible... I've known plenty of people who believe that what we teach is true, they just don't make that small, because that's what it is: small, step of faith for one, "reason" or another.  The most common "reason" is that they don't have time (just to make a point, that's almost never the ease... for any of us.  No matter how much we lie to ourselves).  Sometimes, that step of faith leads them out of their comfort zone (the most worthwhile journeys of life usually do), and sometimes, they just don't care; they're satisfied where they are and can't imagine what we share could possibly bring them anything better.
In life we often miss out on the greatest experience because of our own shortsightedness (Usually our sight extends just far enough to reach the screen of our t.v.. or even shorter for our phones).
All I can say is "Just DOOOO IIIIT." That's not too complicated is it?  Really, it's just as simple as that.  GO out of your comfort zone, take that step of faith, and try to find out if there's something more. 

I love you all!  I hope you're all well!  And I hope I at least said something of a little value.
Take care!  And don't forget to pray (;
Love,
Elder Speakman

(p.s.-  I've not been looking at my calendar lately... HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAYS AND ADVANCED BIRTHDAY Kobe, Samuel, Alex, Grandpa, Jordan, Ruth, Mitchell, Brexten, Maycee, and Brynlee!!  Same to ANYONE else I missed.
Also, Happy Anniversary Grandpa and Grandma Labrum!  Thank you for everything!
I love you all!)

1 comment:

  1. I Love to read your messages! Pray for safety and success for you I do!!! Uncle Brian

    ReplyDelete