Monday, November 21, 2016

week 59 (11/21/2016)

Hey everybody!

Sorry that it has been so long, things get busy on P-days... there's not too much time to relax in the Ghana Kumasi Mission.  I have to try not to  use that excuse too much though; the people there use it aaall the time.  Even if they are just sweeping the dirt.
Speaking of sweeping, they've got regular brooms here in Ghana, but more often than not you will see them using this local broom made of dried grass that's tied together at one end.  There is no "broom-stick" so it requires them to bend down and shuffle around to sweep. I asked one of our friends once why they choose to use the broom that requires them to bend over and suffer.  He gave me two reasons [and this applies to a lot of their tools, even when they are out farming acres of land, they are bent over the whooole time... it's painful] #1:it's tradition. #2 He likes to see the dirt really well hahaha. I love Ghana.

But back to me haha (;... This week was good!  Things have been going great in our companionship and in our area.  We've got so many people to teach that sometimes it's difficult, and even stressful to try and plan for them all.
We've got a really interesting situation in our area though.  There's this furniture store not too far from our house.  When I first came to Dichemso we were walking by when a member asked us to come and teach one of his friends.  After we started teaching him we started teaching another person who works there, then another and another and another, etc.  At this point we are teaching 7 people who work there... we don't even have enough time to see them all in one day so we have to split them off.  It's AWESOME!  And a few of them are really progressing... plus, it's really nice to sit on leather couches every once in awhile instead of small wooden stools. (;

Also, one of our investigators, Michael, was baptized on Sunday!  He's the same age as me and he's a sweet guy!  He is so smart.  It has really been a joy to teach him because he really takes the time to understand and search for himself to know if these things that we teach are true.  The day he told us he wanted to be baptized, I was so happy.  I didn't even know what to say to him. I just rambled on for a bit haha.

Missionary work is sweet and The Church is true!
Read ponder and pray about the Book of Mormon!

Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Speakman

p.s. Happy Birthday Miriam, Jaelle and MOM! I love you all.... I hope you have/had a great day!  You're awesome, I love and miss you!




No comments:

Post a Comment