Monday, January 9, 2017

week 66 (1/9/2017)

I can't believe it's 2017 already, it's amazing how when you are busy doing something worthwhile, time just flies.
This past year has been one of growth, and adventure, work and consequently change.  Sometimes, it's difficult for us to measure or see this in ourselves, but gradually, little by little, "line upon line," "hear a little and there a little," we change.  Each of us.  The things we watch, the things we hear, the places we go, the people we're with and especially the choices we make change us.
The more frequently you choose to do good, the more "good" we will become.  And, gradually, choosing to do good will no longer require an internal debate about whether to choose what's right or to choose what's, "easy" (or natural).  Rather, it will become instinctive and natural.
Week by week, as I get the opportunity to hear from my family and friends about their lives and the progressive changes they are making I am amazed.  As I hear about the great things that each of you are doing, sometimes I wonder if you recognize (and admit) yourselves that you are growing.
Looking from the outside in, it's easy to recognize the strengths and progression of other people, but it's also important to sit down and take a few minutes to be introspective and reflect on the progress that you have made.
I'm thankful for this opportunity that I have been given to come on a mission and become more aware and grateful for, growth of the people surrounding me.  But, I'm also thankful because as I've sat down to look at myself, I can see the changes that have come to me.  But I'll tell ya what, you don't have to come all the way to Africa to change.
 I invite everyone to look back at the year that has come and gone, look at the good that you've done and improvements that you made...I guarantee you've come further than you'd initially admit.  Then figure out what you want to continue to improve on.
Remember the Lord's words in the Book of Mormon, "...I give unto men weakness that they may be humble.... if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." -Ether 12:27

 We went to a museum in the palace near our house (the Ashanti kings former palace, we saw his rolls royce near our house a few weeks ago...this guy has soooo much gold. It's insane, he has to have people carry him because he wears too much gold when he goes out). It was such an interesting experience. Ghanians truly are unique that's for sure.  The tour guide was interesting.  He chastised my companion for pointing with his left hand and got upset whenever we asked questions even though he told us we have the right to ask questions... He was a cool guy though, in the end he told us, "now you know a little bit about our culture, now get out there and keep up the great work that you young boys are doing."  The people here are just confused, that's all I can say.  People will refer their friends to us but they won't accept the gospel themselves. 

My companion and I decided to fast for our investigators to come to church, and a total of 5 showed up!!  It was great. As we have been setting high goals, it's amazing to see how the Lord provides a way for us to accomplish them. 

I love you all and am thankful for your great examples and all that you have done for me.
Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Speakman



Hamatan is here!! see the dust. 


that's called 2 hours of washing while sitting on a stool...I need to stop procrastinating. but I hate using p day to wash.






This was our Christmas Dinner (:
WE COOKED PAPA! man did we cook. I borrowed an oven from our investigator who was baptized on Christmas and we seasoned, and stuffed a whole chicken, cooked that, made our own recipe for cookies, cooked those, bought spoiled plantain, cooked them, and then to top it all off, WE CHOPPED HAMBURGER AND FRUIT SALAD SON. I had to lay on the ground a little after I finished eating. slowly the baby is being digested.




1 comment:

  1. Sister Rayonna Hale, your parents and I moved into the ward the same time here in Cedar City, Utah. I have been amazed at your family and now I read one reason why, a missionary in Ghana!! I loved reading your wisdom and insight. You are truly on the Lord's errand and having the blessings poured out to you and your companion. I am a convert of 42 years this July 12. So grateful to the missionaries who taught me the gospel at age 23, married, with a 3 yr. old daughter. Unfortunately my husband never chose to join the church then or after we divorced which has been over 25 yrs. ago. How he has missed so many blessings the Lord has been willing to give. I commend you on your faithfullness in serving His children.

    ReplyDelete