Monday, February 20, 2017

week 72 (2/20/2017)

I don't' have much to say this week.  Not much new has happened, I'm just trying to push to the end. (;

    Things are picking up in our branch I'm happy to say!! Our branch president has only been a member for a year (part of why I was sent here and told to read handbook 2), there is one RM named Yaw who is helping the branch so much. They all went out to visit less active members together after church on SundayIt is great when the members fulfill their roles, otherwise all the work that we do and all the people that we baptize is in vain. 
     Also, on Sunday one of the young men we are teaching was interviewed by the mission president so he should be getting baptized next week! 

     There is one thing that I have really learned to understand and accept though...  We are responsible and accountable for our own actions.  We are asked to give our all, and that's all we can do.  We cannot do it for someone else. We can entice, persuade, and encourage others to do the same, but in the end, we have to accept the fact that they have their own agency.  God will never take away our agency, and we cannot expect to be able to, nor should we try to, take away the agency of others.
     Sometimes that can be one of the most painful realities to accept: we have to allow others to make their own choices, whether for good or for bad we have to accept/respect their agency.
People often don't understand the fact that, "what we do does matter and will have a positive or negative effect on others."  What we choose to do can either bring a lot of joy or a lot of pain into the lives of the people around us, especially those who love us most.
     My advice is to remember that.  Remember what we do does matter, and it does affect others; you would be selfish to believe otherwise.  But at the same time remember that there are people who choose to ignore this fact, and we cannot control them.  Manage what you can (yourself), then be content.
     There are a lot of disappointments on a mission as you witness, and are affected by, how others choose to use their agency.  But there is only so much you (or should I say "I") can do.  I've been having to remind myself of that more and more often. I need to manage what I can manage, do all that I can do, then be content, no matter what choices others choose to make.

I love you all!
Have a  great week!

Make choices that will bring you and those around you Joy!

Love,
Elder Speakman

At Senior Missionaries building

Writing home at the internet Cafe'

No comments:

Post a Comment