Wednesday, June 28, 2017

week 90 6/26/2017




Hello everybody!

Sorry that it has been so long, things have been pretty busy up here of late. So i decided to let my companions labor away in the kitchen for some time so I can write you; it was a difficult decision, but I decided that I'm willing to sacrifice for all of you (;.

If you don't already know, I've been serving in a tri-companionship for this past transfer.  Elder Nimely from Liberia and Elder Ayim from Ghana are my companions.  We've been getting along great and we have great unity in the work; it has been great!  I've made some great friends in this time that I've been in Ghana.

I'm now closing up my second to last transfer and am approaching my last...  2 years is almost up.      Sometimes it's had to believe; but when I take a moment to reflect on all that has happened within these two years it's hard to believe that it hasn't been even longer!  So much has happened.

This past Saturday we were blessed to witness the baptism of two great men.  Both of them have come a long way to be where they are.  Who I want to talk about is the one whom we taught.  I've learned a great lesson from him, and it is that we can accomplish WHATEVER we set our minds to.  No matter what limitations we may feel we have or what limitations others may label us to have.  In my entire experience with Alfred, we never once had to coax him, prod him, or otherwise try to persuade him to do anything from the beginning.  He's the one who was making advances; he is the one who was making choices.  He stopped us as we were about to pull away in the car, he told us he wanted to find the truth, he told us he would come to church the next day, he came (and he came in a suit and tie at that), he spoke at church, he walked 40 mins. to meet us in the hot sun to lead us to his house, he called us and asked if we could meet at the chapel, he told us that he had an addiction to weed, he made the commitment to stop.  He did everything he promised and more.  Even Saturday night after his baptism, he was in the mud, in the dark with us jacking up the van to try and create a platform to free it from the mud; that's after he went around with us the whole day teaching.

We can do whatever we set our minds to and more.  We can be just as great as we hope to be.  The other man also had to overcome an addiction  prior to his baptism; for him it was a much longer process, as it will be for some of us to accomplish our goals, but he did it!
We are all children of God with limitless capabilities if we choose to use our time and our talents well while we're here on this earth.
 I know these things are true.  I know we can overcome anything IF we rely on the Lord, especially through prayer and scripture study.

I love you all!
I hope you have a  great week!

Love,
Elder Speakman










No comments:

Post a Comment